What is ePortfolio?
An ePortfolio is a digital archive that represents student work over time through a broad range of artifacts (https://cndls.georgetown.edu/eportfolios/). There are a number of ways that ePortfolios can be used for teaching and learning, including student inquiry and reflection, integrating learning across contexts, sharing student work with a broader audience, experiential learning, and providing evidence of learning outcomes.
The Catalyst for Learning website lists the following examples of ePortfolio use:
- Career/showcase ePortfolio - expanded resume meant for external audiences
- Assessment ePortfolio - often associated with program or department outcomes
- Learning ePortfolio - focused on student reflection and growth as a learner
- Advisement ePortfolio - designed to help faculty or advisors with student advisement
These are just a few examples of potential ePortfolio projects. ePortfolios can be an effective pedagogy in a variety of contexts.
ePortfolio at UGA
Many departments at UGA are already implementing ePortfolio. If you are interested in implementing ePortfolio for a class, program or department, the following options are available and supported by CTL:
- CTL Sites - CTL Sites is a multisite WordPress instance. This option is best suited for a course-level ePortfolio project.
- Digication Pilot - We are currently piloting Digication, an ePortfolio tool. This option is suited for a course-level or program level ePortfolio project.
CTL faculty also facilitate the ePortfolio Interest Community (ePIC), which meets regularly to discuss ePortfolio pedagogy and potential across campus. If you are interested in getting started with ePortfolio, please complete the request form and we will contact you for further information.
Catalyst for Learning - This website provides data, practices and strategies for using ePortfolio for teaching and learning.
International Journal of ePortfolio - The mission of the International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP) is to encourage the study of practices and pedagogies associated with ePortfolio in educational settings. IJeP is a publication of the Center for Teaching and Learning in the Office of the Vice President for Instruction at the University of Georgia and the Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research in the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at Virginia Tech.
ePortfolio Research - a database of peer reviewed ePortfolio research that is searchable and categorized by theme.
AAEEBL - The Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-Based Learning is a professional organization that promotes portfolio learning in higher education. AAEEBL has a number of conferences and webinars and a large community of members around the world.