Because there is not a central repository for OER materials, there can be a wide variety of accessibility and quality. The following content is designed to help you locate and evaluate OER. If you have questions or would like a consultation about OERs, please contact us via email: OER Consult.
If you are considering using an OER, you may be concerned about where to go to find resources, and also how to evaluate the resources you find.
Additional Open Textbook Options
- MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning & Online Teaching) was developed and is currently hosted and managed through the California State University University system. MERLOT is a searchable database of links to open content, including textbooks. Resources may or may not have been peer-reviewed.
- OpenStax College, an initiative of Rice University, is a nonprofit organization publishing free textbooks with foundation support. All OpenStax books are developed and peer-reviewed, and many have been used successfully in several courses at UGA, including BIOL 1103/1104, BIOL 1107/1108, PSYC 1101, and SOCI 1101.
- OpenStax CNX is a platform within OpenStax College where faculty and students can view and share free educational material. Content in this area is typically not peer-reviewed, and can be organized as courses, books, or other materials.
- Global Text Project is an initiative out of the Terry College of Business at UGA that offers another option for uploading and sharing OER with a searchable database.
- Affordable Learning Georgia is an initiative funded by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. This group has been awarding grants for different courses taught around the state of Georgia and maintains a list of all the new OER materials created by their recipients. Their website also includes additional resources and an excellent tutorial for using OERs.
- GALILEO Open Learning Materials - Administered by Affordable Learning Georgia, this site lists open textbooks and ancillary materials developed within the University System of Georgia.
- ProQuest ebrary is a searchable database of 125,000 multidisciplinary titles through the UGA Library. This content includes ebooks that may or may not have undergone a peer-review process.