Getting Started with Turning Point Cloud
This page will help you get started with TurningPoint Cloud. For additional information on using TurningPoint Cloud, including more detailed information and advanced help topics, visit the Turning Technologies user guides page.
First, you will need to create a TurningPoint Instructor account and download the TurningPoint Cloud software. You will also need to get a Turning receiver if you are requiring your students to use clicker devices. Contact Sherry Clouser (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get a TurningPoint Instructor Kit, which contains a receiver.
Create a TurningPoint Instructor Account
- Go to https://account.turningtechnologies.com/
- Enter your UGA email address and click Create an Account.
- A verification email will be sent to the email address you provide.
- Check your email and click the link to verify your Turning Account.
- Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks on the Profile page. From the Role drop-down menu, select Instructor.
Now you're logged into TurningPoint, and the Turning Account Dashboard is displayed.
Downloading TurningPoint Cloud
To manage your TurningPoint sessions, you'll need to download the TurningPoint Cloud software.
- Go to https://account.turningtechnologies.com/ and sign in with your Username and Password.
- Select Downloads from the left menu.
- Select the appropriate version of TurningPoint Cloud.
- Save the file to your computer, and install the software (additional instructions for installation if needed).
Once you've installed the software on your computer, you can do a clicker session in class. We recommend doing one or two practice sessions so you and your students can get used to how TurningPoint Cloud works.
Running a clicker session in class: the basics
To start a clicker session in class:
1. Open the TurningPoint Cloud software on your computer. Select "Auto" under Participants on the left side.
2. Plug your receiver into the same computer that's running your Turning software.
3. The default receiver channel is 41, but we recommend changing the channel to avoid conflicts with other nearby classes that might be also running a Turning session. To change the channel, click the channel number below the Receiver and select a new channel.
4. Select the type of polling you want to do for this session and click your choice. (If you've never used TurningPoint Cloud before, we recommend Anywhere Polling to get started.)
4. Now you will see your Channel information displayed (so students can be sure to connect to the correct channel on their clickers) and a polling options box. To ask a question and allow students to respond on their devices, click the Play button on the polling box.
5. To close the question, click the button again (it's now a pause button).
6. To quit your session, close the polling box. The session responses will be saved wherever the TurningPoint software is located on your computer. (If you're using a shared computer in a classroom, we recommend running the TurningPoint Cloud software from a flash drive so your sessions will be saved on the flash drive as well. If you have to run the software from a shared computer, don't forget to save your sessions to a flash drive or your own computer after class.)