Future Faculty Fellows Program
The Future Faculty Fellows Program (3FP), sponsored jointly by the Graduate School and the Center for Teaching and Learning, is a year-long professional development program that brings together 15 innovative and dedicated teaching assistants from across campus to talk about, reflect upon, and improve their teaching, while preparing them for the academic job market and the rigors of their first faculty positions. Experienced teaching assistants with demonstrated teaching passion and who will be preparing for careers in higher education are invited to apply to the program.
Programming for 3FP is driven by and is responsive to the current cohort’s professional development needs, but generally provides the following:
- Promotes professional development by focusing on different aspects of teaching.
- Helps participants document their teaching experience through the creation of teaching portfolios.
- Assists in decoding job applications, finding and applying for jobs, and preparation of job application packages (including portfolios, teaching philosophy statements, and diversity statements).
- Provides access to a network of current and former program participants.
- Facilitates mentorship opportunities with early and late career faculty members here at UGA.
- Encourages the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL).
- Provides resources to develop their own teaching.
- Supports participants’ efforts to improve teaching in their respective departments.
- Offers opportunities for institutional service through mentoring, facilitating other graduate students’ professional development, and other activities.
2021 Future Faculty Fellows
Eman Abdelrahman, Chemistry
Alexandra Lampp Berglund, Language and Literacy Education
Nathan Dixon, English
Britta Girtz, Sociology
AustinHeil, Mathematics and Science Education
Dot-Eum (Rachel) Kim, Linguistics
Sehwan Kim, Kinesiology
Michael K. Mills, Microbiology
Emma Catherine Perry, English
Samantha J. Rippetoe, Communication Studies
LauraElizabethScott, Romance Languages
Matthew D.Seivert, Chemistry
Michael Starling, Philosophy
All applicants must have met all TA Policy requirements at the time of application.
- Teaching Experience:
- Applicant must have had significant teaching responsibilities for at least three terms at UGA.
- Application semester can count towards these terms.
- Being an instructor of record is not required.
- Applicant must be in terminal degree program.
- Applicant must be currently registered full-time at the time of application and for the duration of the program.
- Priority is given to applicants within 1 to 2 years of graduation.
- Previous Future Faculty Fellows are not eligible.
- Only two applicants will be considered from any given department. Should more than two applications be received from any department, the graduate coordinator for that department will be contacted to indicate which two applications should be considered.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate teaching passion, dedication, and innovation.
INFORMATION ABOUT PROGRAM CHANGES
Must be in compliance with TA Policy at the time of application.
Have a faculty member at UGA familiar with your teaching complete this survey on your behalf. Completion of the Applicant Survey will trigger a request to complete this survey to the faculty member you indicate. Please follow up with the faculty member to ensure they complete the survey.
Questions regarding the Future Faculty Fellows Program should be directed to the CTL TA Development & Recognition team via email@example.com.
Want to learn more about the program's history? Check out the following:
- Smith, K.S. (2001). Pivotal Events in graduate teacher preparation for a faculty career. The Journal of Graduate Teaching Assistant Development 8(3), 97-105. See article.
- Morris, Z.M., Horan, E., Barnes, M., Catalana, S., Coffman, R. and Ishibashi, C. (2017). Evaluating how a graduate student learning community can enhance teaching, mentorship, and collaboration. Poster for the 2017 Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Virginia Tech, VA. See poster.
Are you a former Fellow or TA Mentor? Please complete this survey so we can stay in touch with you!
Complete Past Participant Survey (forthcoming) >>